Packing food and drinks for your car trip
By: Laine Yates
When I was single and carefree going on road trips, I would say "I'll just grab something to eat on the road". But those days are well and truly over, as all parents now know! This is a must when travelling with kids... it can save us from a potential crisis, as hungry kids are meltdown kids! Here are some food and drink travel tips:
1) Keep food and drinks up front with you or at least in reaching distance. There is nothing worse on a car trip than screaming hungry kids when you cannot pull over to grab something from the boot!
2) I tend to pack special boxes of little nibblys for each child. They love having their own boxes of goodies and it keeps them quiet for quite some time! A win-win situation for everyone! I love kids' lunch boxes with different sections in them, which I can then "top up" with other food items I keep in my zip lock bags. These lunch boxes also come in handy when we are at our holiday destination for taking on day trips etc.
3) If however, you are not a fan of taking containers - snacks in small zip lock bags are useful.
4) Remember not to take food that can stink out the car!! This can potentially cause motion sickness in kids (and us!).
5) Store food in a cooler bag with an ice pack to keep things nice and chilled. This is essential to keep food from going bad – especially in summer!
6) Use Stubby Coolers to keep milk for babies cold or hot (which ever the case may be) for a short time. This is perfect when you expect to feed your baby in the next hour or so and your bottle carrier is full with other full bottles for your car trip.
7) Bring plenty of fluids! I tend to bring lots of water bottles instead of soft drinks etc, as they can get sticky and can add to the sugar intake of the kids!
8) I am a bit more relaxed with my usual "not too much junk food" attitude. My thinking is one day of eating this kind of food is not going to harm them. I just watch their sugar intake ... so they do not get too hyper!
9) Great snacks to take with you that are not too messy are:
ickle Kids specialises in Kids Activity Packs and Travel Toys! As a mum of two active young boys, I understand how challenging it can be to entertain your ickle ones when you are out and about. Our activity packs and travel toys are perfect to entertain your kids when you are travelling, dining out at restaurants, waiting at the doctor's surgery, busy feeding your ickle bubba, visiting Granny's house or for a rainy day at home. Our travel toys are unique, fun and educational and cannot be found in commercial stores. Visit our online shop www.icklekids.com.au.